This quilt was made for an expecting co-worker friend of mine. I had purchased the applecore Accuquilt die and had never attempted to sew this kind of curved strip set. I must say it went together smoothly as if I had already done many before.
I used the Fruta Y Flor line designed by Verna Mosquera for Free Spirit Fabrics. Gorgeous fabrics! I always purchase what I like and then find a use for it as in this instance. Since this had a fruity theme going already, might as well try to applecore block.
When cutting curves with rotary cutters or scissors it can be inaccurate and time consuming to get them just right. No worries with the accuquilt die cutting system. Since I bought pre-cuts, I saved my meager scraps and this will become another project for a later time. This is one layer cake and one charm pack along with good ole fashioned moda yardage.
I decided how many cores long I wanted it and how many cores wide. I started sewing blocks to one another in a row. After all rows were completed, I then matched all seams and sewed each row together. A must for accurate sewing, pins! Yup, that is right, if you attempt this quilt, pinning is your friend.
Now I had all my rows sewed into a quilt size blanket for a baby. I looked deep into my stash and found a nice pink and white vintage print that I had purchased for a dollar at the thrift store. (yes! Only a Buck!) I made my quilt sandwich and proceeded to quilt it. In the solids I just used echo lines that somewhat followed the curve of the apple core. In the prints, I made a nice little flower and leaf FMQ design.
Once quilted, now I pondered what to do for those scalloped edges. I had never bound a quilt before with scalloped edges. I had never even made binding on the bias. I decided since I had all of these strips left over from the layer cakes that I would make a ruffle to keep the scalloped edge and add a little bit of frill. I sewed my scraps together and thought it would be very close for making a ruffle around the quilt.
Then the dilemma! I was going to be short about 16 inches of ruffle to make it around the whole quilt. So I purchased a charm pack online and waited a few days for it to come.
After its arrival, I finished piecing the ruffle. Now I sewed it to the front side of the quilt matching raw edges. I pleated the strip of scraps. And had plenty left after my pleating of the ruffle. Now, I turned the ruffle to the outward side and had to deal with exposed raw edges and was not sure how to do that.
So bias binding was the best choice as it would stretch and give in all the right places. I just simply made single fold bias and stitched it to the raw edge with the sewing machine.
I did not want to sew the encasement of the raw edge with the sewing machine so I whipped stitched it. The corners were a nightmare and I learned from this. The next quilt, I will round the corners to prevent bulk in the corner. The ruffle made the quilt. It was rather blah without it. And to recoup loss of having to purchase and extra charm pack, I used up cheap yardage in my stash to offset the final out of pocket.
The key to sewing curves I have found is not to concentrate and look to the front of the foot. If you look where your needle is to the edge and take two more stitches with your machine, no matter how off it looks at the front of the foot, it will be fine and come out perfect as the needle is the important 1/4 inch spot. (In summary curved piecing is very similar to life, worry about the now [needle], the future is not even here yet [the end of your foot] are you are obsessing to control it. If you worry about the here and now, you have the power to change that!) I hope this helps if you attempt the apple core. By the way the name of this quilt is Fruta Y Flor Applecore!