WIPs in my quilty world

Works in progress, or what us quilters refer to WIPs seem to be a plenty this new year in my quilty world.  I have been commissioned to sew a laptop bag.  I am still waiting on webbing for the strap.  However I took some extreme ugly fabric from my stash (stuff that I will never use on any other project) and made layers for the chenilling process.

So the ugly tan woven fabric is the non-chenilled side.  The floral fabric was pretty but because this is for a guy, I had to bury it in the layers to not be seen.  The turquoise was my most usable piece but had to break up the color associated with the very top, a green, ugly woven.  If you have never done the chenilling process, I recommend trying it once for something small like a scarf.  Sewing parallel lines on a large pieces of fabric gets a little tedious, but with dramatic affect.  You can see the turquoise showing through.  My next post will be of the whole bag completed and washed.  I am curious to see how this one turns out.

The process of chenilling is as follows, a quilt sandwich with additional layers on the top of the quilt.  The bottom layer would be the back, then the batting, and then a layer of fabric that will probably be sight unseen.  And then two or three more layers that are all sewn together  quilted in rows.  Once layers are sewn (quilted), then you use scissors or a cutter as pictured and cut through the top layers.  In my case the layer closest to the batting does not get chenille but acts as a stabilizer.  Also, make sure your cuts are on the bias.  Forgetting this key step can cause your quilt to rag and make a hairball of threads that shed incorrectly ruining the look of the chenilled process.  Above, you can see I snipped through the green homespun and the turquoise.  What you cannot see is there are two more layers, one of the brown floral which is also chenille and then the fabric closest to the batting which was a brown leafy (ugly) cloth which is not pictured.

I have cut and sewn the pieces for the laptop sack, but will reveal that after I have washed the project.  Chenilling can be accomplished by a wire brush or by laundering.  Either way it becomes very soft and lofty.  Waiting for a woven strap for this, so right now it is stalled.  I had started this over thanksgiving, but ran out of thread.  This simple project has been faced with many stalls.

I am still working en provence mystery quilt.  I have some ironing to do on the purple QSTs.  And I still need to make a gob of the yellow QSTs.

I found out while we were on holiday that one of my co-workers had a baby.  I am behind.  I always try to get them the quilt before the baby is born.  This one is a boy and named Axel (not sure of the spelling).  Because he has already arrived I plan on putting his name somewhere on the quilt.  I also am planing on making a single tractor block out of my book Farm Girl Vintage  by Lori Holt.  There are many pieces to this one block.  I have been saving my bread wrappers for this purpose.  I will be using them to identify my fabric cuts.  Some people snip paper and pin to the fabric for nomenclature.  I have put painters tape on the bread wrapper tabs because I do not have a full alpha-numeric quantity.  Here are the colors I have selected for the block.

Funny, the smudges on this picture are from the ice on my window and shadowing the picture.

If you do a block with lots of pieces in your BOM, I recommend a process like this where you can make all your cuts and easily sew your block together.  Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog.  Have a great day!

2 thoughts on “WIPs in my quilty world

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s