Busy in the sewing corner!

I just finished the Mirage quilt made from the butter and eggs pattern.  You can click here to read about that.  Shifting gears quickly as another baby is due and the colors are seafoam.  I finally made it to my LAQS.  They have not seen me since Nov when I purchased a few pieces for On Ringo Lake.  I have been trying to use up what I have.  I had no seafoam.  I found some beautiful fabrics and then pulled the rest from my stash.  All are not pictured below as I am not certain of the direction I am going to go with this star quilt.

star1

I am using my new template!   The video made it look easy, so there is a learning curve and my angles in my mind have a hard time going at my normal pace.  Slow and steady wins the race eh?

I have starched and pressed the fabric and have cut them into 1 3/4 inch strips WOF.

star2

There are 4 strips that need to create a strip set.  I have selected these and am ready to set the template in and cut.

star3

I have successfully cut to partial stars out of one strip set.

You know I like un-encrypting the mystery behind a template.  Sometimes they are difficult to use and confusing.   I have laid the cut strip set on the mat, and now know you can save yourself about $30 and use the lines on your mat.  For confusion sake I may try this, I am undecided yet.  The try out period is not over so I am on the fence about the future of the template.

star6

I am also working on a garlic knot pattern that was given to us free for a workshop we signed up for.  Free fabric came with sign up and the red was provided by the workshop. Now I am working on the homework before the workshop.  We are having a garlic knot swap at the end of the workshop and I want to participate but yet cringe at the 1/4 seam allowance rule and how the inexperienced people (not quilters) will give blocks that do not meet those dimensions.  It is up to those attending the workshop to bring their variants of black with white and white with black fabric.  It will make it scrappy, supposedly.

Three fabrics all cut at 2 1/2 inch sewn in strip sets.  The red will be the outer part of the block.  The white with black stars will be the center of the block.  They are telling me there will be enough for a 40 block swap after you sew and cut your 5 strip sets, 15 pieces of red, 10 pieces of black, and 5 pieces of white.  I have cut them and the numbers are not coming to 40, more like 20.  We will see how this develops.  I got this done and also noticed that my selvages were not in total alignment all the way to both ends and so there was some fabric loss.

The pressing instructions were provided and have followed those.  I am ready for the workshop on March 3rd.

garlicknot

Once you show the workshop attendee what I have sewn here they give you precut bars of red that would be 4 1/2 inches long by 2 1/2 inches.  This was very easy, the hardest part was pressing.  I am certain there will be a story behind this and will post all about that after March 3rd.  Thanks for reading my blog, and have a great Fat Tuesday!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s