When thinking of an exciting arrival, we all think babies! No babies arrived, sorry to disappoint! No new kittens, no puppies, no….not what you think. I suppose birthing of a quilt is an arrival, but I did not birth a quilt. That technique frightens the bejesus outa me. I will stick to making quilts as I know how.
So what arrived? I am happy to announce the arrival on my new design wall! I would promote this design wall, I paid $37 for. It did not say what it was made from. All it is, a piece of oversized felt. So for those of you who like to figure these things out without the price tag, just get you some 72 wide felt and cut it to size for your wall. You could probably staple the felt to the wall!
But first, lets discuss the goals I set last week.
- Bind the nautical quilt
- Finish hand stitching the binding on the Radiate yellow and black quilt
- Tat some on the Jan Stawasz doily
- Work on the spinning 9 patch pieces/quilt
This week was a great week for getting things done! The blue nautical charity quilt is complete. All binding is sewn. This quilt will be donated next year to the Sew Yeah Quilting for Alaska homeless. Since last weekend was National Sew a Jelly Roll Day, I opted to get the one in progress done!
I finished hand sewing the binding on the Radiate quilt! Yippee!!!! Now I am having second thoughts and may add a sleeve to the back of this because I am bouncing the idea of quilt show in the future. This quilt is very photogenic!
Here is the backing, this is flannel backed. It has a layer of toasty cotton batting as well as 80/20. With that plus the flannel this quilt is heavy! It reminds me of quilts from yesteryear that were nice and thick and really keep you warm.
This picture does not really do this justice. It is black with gold medallions all over it. And this quilt I tried loading a black bobbin and yellow thread in places in the top. I am pleased that my tension is flawless. I worried about this every time I loaded a different bobbin.
And with the arrival of the design wall, I can see this motivating me to get busy. Here are my blooms of the spring brook blossoms quilt along.
The last part of the pattern was released on Monday so I now have another full block done.
It tickles me the color combinations that I selected for these blooms. The Blue and mauve one above reminds me of Pajamas with that pajama looking background LOL.
I have since started on the last block. The stem is done.
And the upper part of the flower is partially done.
I decided on a bit of orange in this quilt block.
Not pictured are the 10 1/2 inch blocks at the bottom and tops of the empty slots on the design wall. Those are cut and added.
And for kicks, I decided to load the spinning 9 patch pattern up on the wall to see if I like it. Mind you, this is not the final cut, just an audition to see if it spins.
Does this spin to you? I see a circle of 9 patches. I did not think putting squares together could make a circle, but I think it does! This quilt will be fun to make scrappy, but I am utilizing some precuts and yardage to see if I like it. I am thinking I have reds through greens with all different shades in between of the yellows, oranges, pinks, and greens. I am thinking the 9 patch rings would be fun all in one color. We will see if I have enough of any one color to do that. Each jelly roll strip set (one white and one color) makes three blocks with a few 2 1/2 inch squares left over. Can you see all the different shades of pink? There are that many oranges too. The red 9 patches remind me of the chuckwagon logo of Purina pet food LOL.
In having fun with the design wall, I suppose if I get out many of my half done projects, this just might give me the kick in the pants to get going again. For those of you who crawl around on the floor, THAT is for the birds! I am too old and it is such a dang yoga work out. If I wanted a work out, I would work out LOL.
I am looking at the variety of my spring brook blooms and wonder what kind of border I am going to come up with. These flowers are rather loud, but humble. For size reasons I do think it needs a border. Perhaps a simple soft solid.
I failed to tat on my doily, which was a goal. But my excitement of my design wall, kind of over-ruled everything I had planned. If it weren’t for the doily, I would have far exceeded my goals.
Goals for the upcoming week:
- Sew the Spring Brook Blossom and make a top
- Select a border
- Get a few UFOs out of their bins and put them on the design wall and see if I can start going in a different direction
- Give away my padded walls
- Sew a few more 9 patches
To make room for the design wall, these items had to come down. I will be rehoming these. The round la passacaglia is now a potholder in the kitchen as well as the left over pieces from En Provence to the left of the boot.
Out with the old, in with the new. And sometimes what is old, is new again!
I am headed out to go to Sew Becca’s Live stream on youtube. I did not realize how much I miss her live feeds until they were gone.
Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog!