Boy howdy! I am on the final strips for this monster squared to the nth power. I have made three sides of corners stones. Here is the interfacing strip piecing firming up those vintage sheets as well as getting an accurate grid.
After trimming these down, they are easily sewn to the perimeter of the quilt, placing this strip of squares on point making them appear they are floating while cornering two corners of the quilt. This strip as well as another pink sashing all the way around is all I lack from having this baby ready to sandwich.
I am debating using my good cotton batting or taking this to the longarmers and having them use their poly batting. The longevity of the quilt is affected by poly batting. It gives a quilt great puff and lift, but at the same time through the years acts as an abrasive to the cotton on top slowing scrubbing it away. I always thought my older quilts were oxidizing, but oxidation is something that happens on old quilts. I recently read an article by Bonnie Hunter who explained my phenomenon best. On the referenced article above, if you scroll down to the “T” block quilt, she starts talking about the use of polyester threads and batting. This explains much for me. Since most of these fabrics are poly blend and I plan on using a poly blend vintage sheet for the backing as well, I am on the fence about batting.
Here is the floating cornerstone.
And here is a closeup.
Sorry ’bout the wrinkly appearance. Notice how the interfacing part is not wrinkled? This is another reason to use this stuff, you only have to iron it once!
While sewing the last strip sets for the postage sheet quilt, I have also been sewing on my tumblers leader/ender. I actually counted how many pieces I have cut which are all sewn now in pairs or quads. I have lost count of how many I sewed this past weekend. I have 596 cut. The quilt will probably by about 24 tumblers by 24. That means I will be digging in my stash again and fishing out suitable prints, plaids, neutrals, and solids to make up the extra 350 blocks.
This is what I did get accomplished last weekend on the leader ender project, as the pieced blocks are sewn into a 4 tumbler strip set. This tumbler thing is growing on me. And I am not out any extra time for its creation as I always leave a pair of tumblers under my sewing machine foot (and getting my stash used to boot). As I piece a part of the quilt above, I start sewing another tumbler. The thread savings is fantastic as you are putting your thread tails to use instead of cutting them away and discarding them.
Next post this weekend is apple pie on my other blog, the cook book project. And stay tuned as next weekend I aim to have the postage sheet quilt top completed and pictures posted. Have fun with your projects and explore all your options! 🙂