Yesterday I posted about a moroccan tile pattern I was going to try. My plan was to purchase some black patterned fabric to start this pattern. I went shopping and realized I have become a fabric snob! I went to Joann’s and Hobby Lobby and was not satisfied with their selection. I refuse to shop at Walmart and have not done so in 17 years. Their fabric dept suffered greatly when I made this decision. Years ago I had a conversation with a quilt shop owner about not purchasing fabrics at those locations. She too denied those merchants. She called me an official fabric snob, and we giggled about it. So, off I go to the quilt shop Tuesday.
In the meantime I wanted to try my version of this pattern with some fabric for practice because I have plenty of it. The pattern was for cutting up charm squares which made the finished quilt as well as the pieces very small. I try not to put a lot of work into piecing of a quilt which is gifted to a coworker. You never know it could end up at the Goodwill in a couple of years. So on the same concept of the pattern I used the drunkard’s block accuquilt die. Those turned out cheeky! But the dimension of it coming to the rectangles was too half moon-ish. My idea is not going to work. My day of play has led to greater things. Discovery…..brainstorming….recalling, and voila I have figured out a new plan.
Switching gears before you start is not hard. I still need to purchase fabric and this will let me know how much. After looking at my pattern really closely, the drawing for the half moon triggered a memory of watching a youtube episode of quickly quilting. I couldn’t remember what they called their version of the pattern. But this is the effect I will be getting, just using an easier method with no template costs. Click here to see their tutorial and quilt backdrop goodness. When I had originally come across this pattern, some weeks later I was at Marcia Hohn’s Quilters Cache and found out what the old fashioned name was for this block. Her version is much, much easier and it is free. The pattern is called butter and eggs.
Yesterday I took all my fabrics from the great stash and pressed what I would be using, dropping my swatches over the wooden clothes dryer (I just love this thing, especially during strip cutting). Today I will start cutting my fabrics at the Quilters Cache specifications. I have always wanted to do this quilt. But, doing it baby size it will not take as long and I get that checked off my bucket list.
In summary, I wasted gas, wasted a 3 1/2 inch strip of fabric and a 4 inch strip of fabric in the havoc of trying to design my own block. I haven’t had this happen in a while, and even though I have nothing to show for yesterday stitching, I enjoyed this process I call quilting, and have a better plan!